Using this event feature you can integrate ReferralCandy seamlessly with your existing customer flows, or build out a new flow to incorporate referrals.
1. Once you’ve integrated with Klaviyo by providing your API key, you simply need to select the ‘Activate Post Purchase Events’ button as seen below.
- Once this feature is activated, control of sending post purchase emails is switched over from ReferralCandy to Klaviyo.
- ReferralCandy will stop sending post-purchase emails. You may opt to re-enable the ReferralCandy post-purchase referral email here.
- Upon activating this feature, referral emails will not yet be sent to your customers right away, you must first incorporate our custom properties into your Klaviyo post-purchase email flows (or chosen flows). Activating this feature simply initiates an event to be triggered that allows ReferralCandy to pass referral information to Klaviyo after each purchase from your store.
You’ll want to make sure that this feature has been activated successfully. Every time a purchase takes place, it triggers a Klaviyo ‘event’ that pushes referral information to Klaviyo in the form of ‘properties’ which you can utilize in the email templates of your flows.
1. On your Klaviyo dashboard, head to the ‘Profiles’ section or use this link.
2. If the integration was successful, you should see a profile that was automatically created under the email address: ‘email@example.com’
Note: These properties are updated every time a purchase takes place.
You may now incorporate the referral program custom properties into your existing flows. Check out our Sample Implementation for an idea on how to get started.
It’s very important to test that everything is working correctly. I recommend that after integrating and adding your chosen ReferralCandy properties into the email templates, that you also make a test purchase to check that they are being shown as you intended.
Take note that the ReferralCandy properties and events will only be created/triggered for new customers AFTER integrating the post purchase event feature.
Setting Delays & Conditions
- There can be a short delay between when a purchase is made on your store, and when ReferralCandy can create and send that information (from the event) to Klaviyo. This can be mitigated by setting a delay between when a purchase is made and when the first email in your flow is sent.
- Missing referral links can also happen because of the above-mentioned delays. You can prevent this by setting a condition to only show the block that contains the referral program elements IF the referral properties are available. You may use the condition: person|lookup:'Referral Link - ReferralCandy' as seen in the screenshot below: